Holy Cow it's already February! That means I have been on my own for officially one month... and haven't gotten myself into any trouble *knock on wood*
Each week seems to fly by and not only have these blog posts been a great way to keep everyone at home up to date, but they also help me reflect on all the amazing opportunities I have been a part of.
Every Friday is our so called "hack" day where we do not have lessons, but rather we do something totally different with our horses out side of the 20m x 60m dressage arena. I have found that these days have turned into adventures and have become completely sponatneous. Last Friday, Alex and I went for a walk around the entire square (Southfields and neighboring streets -> Pierson -> Southshore -> and finally back onto Southfields.) This loop took us about an hour and a half and the boys loved almost every minute of it. Liv and Charmie weren't sure what to think of the dump trucks thudding as it passed us.
| Riding next to the canals... thankfully no alligators were spotted! |
We also took our first written test on the Training Scale. I am not gonna lie, it wasn't easy because it wasn't just "Name the steps of the Training Scale" it was a fill in the blank with most questions looking like " ________ includes lightness of the forehand, _______, and ________." (collection, increased engagement, self-carriage) Then came the true and false, detailed Training Scale questions, as well as the dimensions of a dressage arena and all letters.
Saturday I had a lesson with Annie Morris. She is a Bronze and Silver Medalist as well as a USDF Certified Instructor through 4th level. In my lesson, we worked on the consistency of the walk, and acceptance of my aids. Sounds a little basic, but Liv was a tad tense that day. Once we conquered that part of the ride, we moved on to the trot keeping the same principles. Then on to the canter where we practiced our schooling canter pirouettes. I was really able to feel how a correct pirouette should be schooled and ridden.
After having a lesson with someone different every day that previous week, I thought Sunday would give me the chance to practice everything I had been taught and play around with the different approaches. It was so neat to combine different exercises I had learned and see what would continue to work on Livingston and what I should just keep in a file in the back of my brain for another horse down the line. For the first time since my birthday, a bunch of us went out for something fun... aka the South Florida Fair! BEST TIME EVER.
| Rode my first mechanical bull!!!! Highlight of my night! |
Now, onto this past week...
Monday we had off from lessons so I made a very smart decision... and took a nap! Although it was short lived due to my tutor coming to go over Calculus and Topics. Then it was back to the barn to take care of afternoon chores, turn out, and the farrier came to do Liv's hooves.
Oh now my favorite day this week. Tuesday. I had an early lesson with Lendon and everything seemed to just click. I was proud of myself for thinking ahead and truly 'training and riding.' What an awesome feeling to just go out and ride and have little comments here and there from Lendon's eyes on the ground. My game plan for that ride was more than sufficient!
So what about Tuesday made it my 'favorite' day? It was the day I got to act like a true adult and drove my butt to Urgent Care. I will preface this paragraph with "I am NOT hurt, and I am now OKAY." Since I have been down here my allergies have been turning against me quite often. Sadly, my normal remedies were not working and they proceeded to keep getting worse. On Sunday and Monday, I began getting hives on my arms just touching hay. My sneezing escalated to allergy "attacks" and I couldn't even walk into the barn without non-stop sneezing, watery, red, and itchy eyes, and my voice changing. To Urgent Care I went. Thankfully one of my friends here came with to keep me company since any Doctor's office and I really do not get along. Needless to say, I left with four prescriptions.
From there, we headed to Jim Brandon Equestrian Center where the Global Dressage Forum North America was being held. Lendon managed to get the WITees FREE tickets! The first demonstration was by world-renowned long lining master Bo Jena. He demonstrated how to long line a young horse versus a more experienced horse and how to incorporate cavalettis. Jena focused on relaxation and transitions. He said, "The outside rein is key" and also "If you can learn to ride, you can learn to long line." I must say, he made long lining look so simple, but I will be the first to say, I am quite hesitant to try. It is most certainly an art. After his demonstration, a panel consisting of Anne Gribbons, Kathy Connelly, Betsy Steiner, Leslie Reid, Felicitas von Neumann-Cosel, and Jan Ebling discussed the demonstrations and marveled over his calmness and expertise.
For me, there are no words to describe the next rider, Ingrid Klimke. She is a phenominal eventer and dressage rider and has competed in several Olympics. Her philosophy stems from her fathers training, but she has created her own style. Her demonstration was about trainging a young horse. She emphasized the fact that riders need to be sure the horse understands your aids. Klimke rode a five year old stallion she met for the first time that afternoon. Her belief is that the four, five, and six year olds need to perform basics that are building blocks for upper level work. "The horse is the best teacher, but you must really open your heart and feel," said Klimke. One of my favorite quotes was as follows. "I asked someone how they did something. I did nothing. So I got on and did nothing and nothing happened. I then realized I need to do a something nothing!" Just let that quote sink in because I feel that everyone will interpret it in a different way and I know for me, it means to simplify everything and not over think a problem or solution.
What a day!
![]() |
| Bo Jena's long lining demonstration with a young horse. |
![]() |
| Very high tech here! |
![]() |
| Ingrid Klimke riding the five year old stallion in front of the panel. |
After taking all of those medications the night before, Wednesday I felt a bit under the weather to say the least. Everyone helped me out with feeding and cleaning my stall since I was under orders not to touch hay or shavings until I was off the steroids. And then when I do, I shouldn't touch it with bare hands. Greattttttttt that is going to make taking care of my horse a bit more challenging! Lucky for Livingston, he got to have a light ride that day and we just practiced a few movements to prepare for our very first schooling show the next day.
The weather in Wellington is extremely bipolar. I left the house Thursday morning and it was hot and humid. By the time I got to the barn and parked, it was freezing cold, windy, and pouring. What great weather for a schooling show! But like I said, the weather is bipolar so after some time the rain and wind stopped. This show was held at Hampton Green Farm (where we train) so that was rather convenient. It was also just for the WITees to practice all the things we have been taught. I made a small list of things I wanted to accomplish.
1. Nail my braids perfectly. CHECK!
2. Break out my updated show attire and see how it all worked together. CHECK!
3. Have a consistent walk, brakes lol, and no hopping in the canter pirouettes. CHECK!
4. Ride the Young Rider Prix St. George Team and Individual Tests for the first time ever. CHECK!
5. Get all of my 'OMG I AM SHOWING A NEW LEVEL" nerves out of the way. CHECK!
I could not have asked for a better run through for my tests. Even with my nerves were a little on edge, Livingston was attentive to me and took care of me. While I have a few things to work on such as preparation of the canter pirouettes and other lateral movements, I was quite happy with my scores. Liv and I were high scoring 'team' for the FEI Young Rider classes :)
Yesterday, we had to retake our Training Scale tests which was followed by a coordination work out with Lendon. That was the best work out I have ever had and none of us could stop laughing at each other. Lets just say we have some coordination to work on! Livingston and I had a quick school in the ring and I just had him stretch the entire time to loosen him up. Last night I got completely caught up with my homework! I was determined to finish my English paper, take and send in my quiz for Topics, finish my Calculus and Theology homework, and catch up on Physics and Psychology and finish my application for Berks' Best Business. Oh not to mention all of the horse show paper work and reorganizing in the office that desperately needed to be done! I bit the bullet and went to work. Nothing like going to bed late but knowing you are caught up for once!
Today was all about getting ready for our first off-the-farm show at White Fences... Along with the other odds and ends errands I needed to take care of. It is amazing what happens when I have a few hours to completely focus on my never-ending list of things to do! I actually can see an end! Anyways, three of us will be loading up the Horse Van at 6:45 am to head to the show and our last ride isn't until after 3... It will be a long day, but I have a lot of confidence that it will go well. :)



No comments:
Post a Comment