Hours, days, and weeks have started running together because we have been soooooo busy! So don't ask me what day it is! Luckily, last week we did not have a lecture every day which gave me the chance to catch up on homework, journaling, studying, horse show scheduling, entry forms, and of course the blog.
This week however was a different story... Here's what I have been up to since my last post.
First, Gary Smith, a straight forward horseman who trains 'problem' horses, talked to us about the art of boot shinning. Of course he had us bring all of the products we use on our boots and sarcastically told us we were hopeless! At least I have one product he recommends.... So I have a lot of work ahead of me truly shinning my tall boots, not just using my quick shine. You know...the cheating way! We then had a lovely question and answer session, picking his brain about how to work with difficult horses. In most cases, it is all about moving forward and treating every horse as though they have no problem.
Friday, the 'S' judge candidates had their official testing at the Gold Coast Opener at Jim Brandon. Basically, the judges sat up in the stands and 'judged' the Prix St. George, Intermediare 2, and Grand Prix tests. Lucky for us, we got paired with a judge and were their scribes for the day. What an amazing experience. I learned so much from my judge and by the end of the day, I felt like my eye had improved tremendously. She provided great insight to the different tests and extra things to think about while riding the Prix St. George test. I can't wait to start competing!
This year, USDF came out with official Rider Tests. The tests will go along with the normal Training, First, and Second level tests in required movments; however, these tests are judged based on the rider's position and effectiveness of aids. Lendon offered quite a few of us to be Demo Riders for the Rider Test Videos. To be perfectly honest, I was a bit nervous because this video would be sent out to God knows how many people...no pressure or anything! In the end, I really had nothing to be nervous about. It was laid back and Liv was responsive to my aids... and I think he really enjoyed a few days of work schooling training level movements!
| Some of the Demo Riders :) from left to right: Jenny & Leo, Liv & I, and Alex & Charmie |
Sunday I had a lesson with Lendon and I could not have been happier with the ride. Everything is coming together so nicely. Livingston was right with me and I was able to kick on the after burners during the lateral work and canter pirouettes. I think Livingston was quite proud of himself because he walked out of that arena with his ears flopping doing his "I'm so cool" walk.
On to Monday and Tuesday... the highlight of educational experiences so far: The FEI Trainers Conference with Steffen Peters and Scott Hassler. Steffen Peters is our country's dressage master. He has been in countless Olympics and is an amazing trainer and coach. Scott Hassler is the USDF Young Horse Coach and also has many national and international titles behind his name. He too is a thorough trainer, coach, and rider. The two of them tag teaming each lesson was spectacular. Steffen rode each horse at least once and was able to explain everything in a way that brought a trillion different light bulb moments. Just watching him ride so effortlessly, yet so effectively, made me want to get back to the barn and practice what he preached. I noticed that in the past few days, I have been even more aware of my position and effectiveness... and the fact that I need to work out even more.
I would go into detail about all of the 'ah ha' moments, but that would go on for pages and your scroll bar would seem never ending! So briefly:
1. Simplify, simplify, simplify. Don't over complicate your aids. K.I.S.
2. Don't kick the can down the road. Deal with the problem as it comes and fix it then.
3. Focus on the horse's alignment, not just straightness. Straightness tends to create tension or at least make people think stick straight which isn't the true meaning.
4. Stay true to yourself as a trainer.
5. Every movement has 3 phrases: the set-up, execution, and finish
6. If you need to ride strong that's fine, but do it and then be light. Don't stay strong for forever.
7. There is a difference between schooling pirouettes and working pirouettes for a reason... make the schooling pirouettes have a purpose.
8. Always ride with a purpose.
9. If you can't get the outcome you're looking for in 2 strides, go back and simplify the problem.
10. When you have all the parts, go ahead and ride for the 8 or 9 but only when you have it together.
- Just a few words of wisdom from Steffen Peters and Scott Hassler.
Wednesday was just as exciting. USDF Certified Instructors came to Hampton Green for a day of teaching. Some of the instructors were selected to give 'demo' lessons. Each instructor had a lesson topic and one of the WITees to be the guinea pig. I had the last lesson of the day and was paired with Sarah Geikie. Sarah is an FEI **** (C) Judge and USDF 'S' judge. She has trained many horses to Grand Prix and received many awards at the national and international levels. Her topic was tempi changes and although Livingston is a tempi changing machine, it was great to work on his rideability after the changes. After warm up and discussing the game plan, we started canter work on the 1/4 line while maintaining straightness, uphill balance... and the correct lead. That meant no 1s or 2s! After all that was established, we rode the lines with three flying changes; one change, then a simple change, then another change. This really surprised Liv and messed with his 'flow.' PERFECT! He then waited for me for every change.
Today I had a lesson with Rachel Saavedra, a national competitor and recognized trainer. It was fantastic. I loved how she explained the details behind a proper half halt and used the analogy of a dump truck to give me a visual... a visual I definitely could relate to. A half halt should feel like the horse sits behind you and lifts in the front. Just like a dump truck. After work in the corners with half halts, we carried the same principles into the canter work. From there we worked on riding 1/4 pirouettes.
Everything is really coming together and I am getting more comfortable with the Prix St. George work. We are going to hit the show ring the first weekend in February!
Below are some random pictures I have taken... should create a well rounded picture of my life here lol
Oh Lexi -you sound like you are having the time of your life and it's only been 3 weeks -imagine what is still to come!!!!!!! And Prix St George - woohooo girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love you! xxoo
ReplyDelete